With the final book in The Darkest Minds trilogy – In the Afterlight – being released next month, we’re getting ready for the feels by reading the first book in the fantastic trilogy from Alexandra Bracken.
With the recent news that the first book will be turned into a movie, there’s never been a better time to get into these books. (If you attended #BTCYA, you’ll know that this is our campaign manager Tim’s favourite YA series of all time)
Here’s a bit about the story:
When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something frightening enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that got her sent to Thurmond, a government ‘rehabilitation camp’. Ruby might have survived the mysterious disease that killed most of America’s children, but she and the others had emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they could not control.
Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones. When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now on the run, she is desperate to find East River, the only safe haven left for kids like her, and she joins a group of other runaways who have escaped their own camps. Liam, their brave leader, is falling for Ruby, but she can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.
When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all Liam. But there are also other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice – and one that may mean giving up her only chance at having a life worth living.
Want to join in? Here’s how:
1. Sign up for the re-read by letting us know on social media – we are @HarperCollinsYA on Twitter and Instagram and can be found here on Facebook
2. Get yo’self a copy of THE DARKEST MINDS. (The ebook is just $4.99 until the end of October)
3. Start reading from chapter one today, October 21st and aim to complete the book by Sunday, November 2
4. Share your progress with us! Post your thoughts, favorite quotes, lines, etc. with us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram (you can tag us on Twitter and Insta at @HarperCollinsYA)! Make sure to use the hashtag #BTCBookClub so we can see your progress!
On YouTube – post your readalong videos and share them with us on Twitter! Be sure to use “BTC Book Club Darkest Minds Readalong” in your title or description of the videos so we can find them!
5. WIN! Everyone that joins in the readalong will have the chance to win a copy of the third book in the series In the Afterlight. Winner will be announced on Monday November 3rd
We hope to see you around the interwebz! Remember, a good book is always paired best with a delicious snack of some kind and a tasty beverage.